Archive for the ‘Storage’ Category
DataCore’s storage virtualization software, SANsymphony-V, maximizes the availability, performance and utilization of disks in data centers large and small. Use it to manage on-premises storage or build a cloud storage infrastructure.
We looked at R9 in June 2012.
Pricing: DataCore-authorized solution providers offer packages starting under $10K for a two-node, high-availability environment.
Requirements: Windows Server 2008 R2
Management console runs on Windows desktops.
A complete disaster recovery appliance that can automate the protection of any any Windows 2003 or later server OSs. We tested v3.2 on a small test network of both physical and virtual machines in December 2011.
Price: Starts at $10k per appliance and includes three protected servers, additional servers and quickstart installation or upgraded hardware is extra.
Symantec has a new R2 version of its Backup Exec 2010 backup software that is easier to install, quicker to make backups, and a raft of new features that include better support for virtualization, archiving, and deduplication.
Mountain View, Calif.
Pricing: $1174 for one media server, deduplication and archiving options extra
SEPATON’s S2100 is a virtual tape library backup appliance that can work to significantly reduce backup completion and restore times and cut down on storage requirements. It has a flexible capacity to hold from 10TB to over 1 PB and a wide collection of policies that can be crafted to particular applications and circumstances.
We tested a unit on a live network with actual production data with Firefox running on Windows XP in March 2010.
Price: starts at $110,500.
Backup products supported include Symantec’s NetBackup, IBM Tivoli
Storage Manager, EMC NetWorker and HP Data Protector.
SEPATON S2100-ES2 v5
400 Nickerson Road
Marlborough, MA 01752
508 490 7900
The 3X Systems Backup appliance is a great way to automatically backup a collection of PCs and servers across the Internet at reasonable cost.
We tested version 2.1.6 in August 2009 on a small network of Windows clients and servers.
Windows agents available for 2000 and later versions, including both servers and 64-bit OS’s.
• Easy to setup and operate
• Simple and effective offsite backups
• Can scale up storage as disk requirements grow
• Only Windows agents supported
• Require recent browser versions such as IE v7 and Firefox v2
• Restoring full domain controller or specific email messages could be easier
Price: base system starts at $2,495.00
1275 Kinnear Road, Columbus Ohio 43212
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
We looked at several products available from Symantec to help provide insight into how to reduce overall enterprise disk storage requirements and cost. The video touches on several strategies that enterprise IT managers can employ to analyze their storage use.
Symantec NetBackup Pure Disk v6.5
Veritas Command Central Storage v5.1
Symantec Enterprise Vault v8.0
Veritas Storage Foundation v5.0
An online backup server that covers a wide range of servers and services, this latest version includes the ability to protect Microsoft SharePoint and Exchange servers, VMware Infrastructure, and other sophisticated environments.
We tested Version 12.5 on a small test network with Windows Server 2008 and Mac and Windows clients.
Requirements: Windows 2000/2003/2008 Servers,
Price: $995 for one license, additional agents varies in price from $395 to $3195, depending on what you need to backup.
20330 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Cupertino, CA 95014
- Easy to setup and operate
- Free 60 day trial helps you test out the service and become familiar with its operation
- Granular Recovery Technology allows easy restoration of accidentally deleted files, emails, or documents.
- VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V virtual server data protection that is easy to manage
- Integrated online backup for flexible off-site data protection
- Some of the menus are a bit densely packed, such as the Job Setup screens
- This is not a product for single server environments (there is a separate version for Microsoft’s Small Business Server that is more appropriate)
Symantec Corp. http://spn.com
More DIY videos at 5min.com
An online backup service that works automatically in the background to make copies of your most critical files and is very easy and economical to use. Online backups have several advantages:
– To aid in recovering files from a lost or stolen laptop
– To provide a simple but effective offsite storage solution for your data
– To keep the costs of backups low and within reach of most businesses
Requirements: Windows 2000/2003 Server, Windows XP, Windows Vista with latest service packs installed, with at least 15% free disk space on the volumes that you want to backup.
Price: $9.99 a month for basic service for 10 GB storage. Premium service is $35 a month for 10 GB with seven year history of backups. Additional fees for more storage capacity, remote access, and online storage for Backup Exec v12 users.
– Easy to setup and operate
– Free 30 day trial helps you test out the service and become familiar with its operation
– 24×7 support included
– Requires a fast broadband upload connection particularly on the first backup or for very large file collections. Only incremental changes are sent on subsequent backups
– Lack of progress indicators make troubleshooting more difficult